Saturday 21 March 2015


When the Rain Stops


The relentless rain slows, so
I look up just as the sun flares
and silvers the tiled rooftops.

Gleaming bright, a lofty convoy 
of cloud sails in from the north
across the vast ocean that is sky;

then white hot sun, aims slanting rays
dazzling through the windows,
spangling the raindrops in liquid fire.
                         
But what I’d like to know is,                         
whether the robin which sings at night              
under the pitiless glare of street lights   
is singing now,
               just for the glory of great open skies.
 

Sue Burley 2015



 
 

2 comments:

  1. I felt a bit sad when you told me about the night time singing robin - fooled in to day time song by street lights, but I hope he is singing during the day as well "for the glory of great open skies"

    ReplyDelete